Book Review #23- Lagom: The Swedish Art of Living a Balanced, Happy Life by Niki Brantmark


The Art of Fika

"Fika (fee-ka) (n): taking time for a coffee, treats and conversation with friends."


Book: Lagom (Not too little, not too much): The Swedish Art of Living a Balanced, Happy Life
Author: Niki Brantmark
Publisher:Harper Design
Date Published: 2017
Reading Chair Rating: 5 out of 5

Got the picture from my own Instagram account @milishiu



Plot/ Summary:
In a fast-paced world, wouldn't it be wonderful if you could slow down and enjoy life with less pressure, less stress, and more time for the things you love?

Sweden is ranked in the top three of the world's happiest places to live, and lagom, which means "not too much and not too little --- just right," is the Swedish philosophy for enjoying balance in every aspect of life -- from work and leisure to family and food, and everything in between.

Experience bakers know by touch when the dough they are kneading is lagom -- not too moist and not too dry. At the office, professionals who work hard -- but not to the detriment of other parts of their lives -- are following the lagom ideal.

Lagom is moderation, balance and equality.

By using the Swedish lifestyle as an example, Niki Brantmark offers insightful suggestions and bite-sized actions to help you make subtle changes to your life, so you too can make time for the things that matter most and find greater happiness.

(Book Back Cover Summary)

Blogger Review:
This is actually the 1st book that I have read for the year 2020 and it is a good book to start off! Last year was a hell of a roller coaster for me. I was too busy focusing on my career and helping out with the family business that in the middle of 2019, I was rushed to the ER due to stress. 2019 was a heck of a busy year and a very complicated one.

This is one of the few books (the other books, I will also post a review about them) that had helped me get through that rough year, and start slowing down and give myself some self-love and care. 

I brought this book for Php 688.00 in Fullybook BGC, Taguig City. I was with my co-workers while we were roaming around the area after a seminar. Knowing myself, I would not go out of a bookstore without buying anything. So I found this book with a very cute cover, even before I bought this book I really wanted to read about books on contentment and happiness in Scandinavian countries. This is the first one that I bought for this kind of topic, I'll surely buy the other related topic books like Hygge and etc.

Jumping to the book, the book itself is very easy to read as to the layout of the book is more like a magazine layout + Pinterest. As to it has many full page pictures, but somehow gives an accurate depiction of the mood that the writer wanted for the book. I also like the illustrations of the book, its like a combination of vector image + paper cut out style. Very nice touch to the content. 

I actually don't mind that it is not that wordy, and that it is easy to understand and read. Like your just reading leisurely. I think this would be the very first book among the books that I have that I could actually re-read several times.

Content wise, it is further divided into 3 parts:
1. Lagom in your Personal Life- This part is more of how to prioritize yourself and more self-love. It also give a glimpse on how to set your home in to a more relaxing for you to get a sense of belongingness in your own home.

2. Lagom in Family and Relationship- The importance of people around you, who are you putting your time for and doing all the work for. Giving importance on spending time with your loved ones would also help with your well being and happiness.

3. Lagom in the Wider World- society and environmental impact, just using what is needed and learn how to be more resourceful at the same time sustainable for the environment.

Overall, the book is a good quick book to re-read, if you need to be reminded from time to time to slow down and appreciate little things around you.

Coffee

Procaffeinating (n.): the tendency not to start anything until you've had a cup of cofee. (p.128) 


Blogger Art:
Fika Time!

Looking for a copy of this book:

Book depository (free shipping worldwide)

Until next time, 
M


Comments

Popular Posts